lørdag 16. februar 2008

From Minnesota through the states of Iowa, Missouri and Kansas



We got up early this Friday morning and drove for a 9 hours trip southwards to Manhattan, Kansas. We drove through the states of Iowa, Missouri and Kansas.

When passing through the state of Iowa I was thinking of my ancestors, my great grand-father Oddmund Kambestad and his wife, my great grand-mother Ragna Kambestad. They emigrated from Norway to America in1886. They married over there, bought a farm in Iowa and got their four children when living at that farm (Sivert, born 1891, Edvin (1893), Sigrid (1895), and Hanna (1897). After the birth of Hanna, Ragna got ill. She suffered from tuberculosis, and the family sold the farm and returned to Kambestad, Norway, where Ragna Kambestad died in 1899, 32 years old.

When driving through Iowa I was thinking of how fun it would be if I could find the farm where my grand-mother was born and lived her first five-six years. She has told her daughter that the railway passed near the farm, and that they could hear the trains passing by. As this is the only information I have on the geographical situation of the farm, it is of course impossible for me to find it during this stay. I guess I would need a longer stay and much help from immigration organisations and immigrants’ registries if I should have the possibility to find the farm. The one important information I am missing in order to make progress, is in which township in Iowa Oddmund and Ragna Kambestad had their farm.

Ingen kommentarer:

Om meg

oivindsolheim@gmail.com